Dec 16, 2013
Design Insider: Decorating Lessons from my HGTV Holiday Special
Hello Fabulistas! I hope you tuned into my show, HGTV Celebrity Holiday Homes, Friday night. I decorated Tiki Barber and his gorgeous wife Tracis new home for Christmas. I thought it would be fun to give you an insiders look into what I did on the show. Be inspired Tiki and Traci are not only expecting, but expecting on Christmas day! It was exciting to decorate their home and make it even more festive for this extra special holiday. They were very gracious and let me use my inspiration to work magic in their home. Let yourself be inspired to make this holiday special for you. Accentuate the positive Decorating for the holidays is the perfect time to highlight your homes most important features. Tiki and Traci's gracious foyer deserved drama and attention. I made a heavily embellished garland and installed it on the banister to showcase the grand scale of the staircase. It also creates anticipation for more fabulous decorations to come in the living room and dining room. Make a statement Have fun and be bold. Theres nothing that makes a statement quite like a metallic gold Christmas tree! On my segment on HGTV Celebrity Holiday Homes, I used glass and silver ornaments to create the glistening, festive, yet elegant, effect on these gold trees. And dont forget to add an abundance of lights. The more lights on a tree, the better! DIY for major fun! On the show, Tiki Barber helped me create some fabulous glitter ball ornaments for the glam swag throughout the house, including on the living room mantel. The great thing about these ornaments is that the glitter is on the inside, and doesnt get all over you and your house as youre decorating. Tiki did a great job, and even brought his football skills into play during our DIY session! See below for directions to make your own sparkling ornaments.
Glitter ornament how-to Materials:
- Clear glass ball ornaments
- Glitter (loose)
- Pledge Floor Finish with Future Shine (with blue cap)
- Funnel for glitter
- Funnel for floor wax
- 1. Remove metal caps.
- 2. Use funnel and pour approximately 1 tbsp floor finish into the glass ornament. Make sure to pour against side to avoid bubbles.
- 3. Swirl floor finish around inside the ornament to cover all inside surface area.
- 4. Pour excess floor finish back into bottle. Twist ornament when pouring out to cover the neck of the ornament.
- 5. Use funnel to pour a generous amount of glitter into ornament.
- 6. Twist ornament around again. Glitter should cover all inside surface areas.
- 7. Gently shake to cover any missed spots.
- 8. Pour excess glitter back into bottle.
- 9. Wait approximately 10-15 minutes before placing caps back onto ornaments.
Leave a comment